What games were/are the most problematic for you?

Discussion in 'Gaming Addiction' started by Alexander, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Alexander

Alexander Administrator Staff Member

Here is my list:

- Diablo II
    - Warcraft III
    - World of Warcraft was the most problematic game of my life, with many 100s of hours sunk into it.
    - Rust
    - Fortnite
    - Socom 2 for ps2 in high school

Basically, what I am getting at is, do you think that there is a particular type of game that is more likely to lead to addictive behavior?

2. themammothrept

themammothrept Administrator Staff Member

RPGs I think are more addictive then your regular platform games, because they have more rewards with their ranking systems... and also because they have so much replay value... and they take forever to beat.

3. Caesura

Caesura Member

-Diablo II
    -WoW
    -FPSes
    -Morrowind
    -Guild Wars

I think mammoth is right about RPGs. Levelling systems increase addictiveness.

Games can vary widely in how addictive they are. For example, I think you're less likely to get hooked on Pong, Pacman, or Galaga than Diablo II. But if you're a serious addict, less addictive games may trigger urges to play the others.

Also, some games get their appeal from high-novelty and sensory stimulation, while other games get their appeal from challenge and-or competition. Not all games are equally novelty driven.

For example, in some FPSes, the community always plays on one or two maps, the graphics are old, and there's nothing to unlock. People play some games just to increase their skill--but that can still be an unhealthy escape. Maybe an addiction, too.

I have some hope that games will be okay for me one day. I don't believe in the AA model of addiction, because it's not evidence-based. The evidence indicates that SOME addicts are eventually able to use at low levels. And I think some day games may be like that for me.

Right now, I mostly can't make myself play games. After 15 minutes, I just feel like stopping, and then I don't come back for weeks or months. I tend to use addictions that give me a sense of growth, and games have stopped doing that.