Well look who is here .... UGH.

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by ruggerdoug, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Mozenjo

Mozenjo Well-Known Member

Truth. I'm out of shape and drinking too much, too. We need to change that now.
    Resetting hurts, and it should. It's the reason we use the damn counter. It keeps our goal in our face.

Boxer17 and path-forward like this.
  2. ruggerdoug

ruggerdoug Well-Known Member

At some level all of this is a self control issue. Today, I feel like I have none. No self discipline.

Up until college I didn't have to study to get A's except in a few classes like Physics which didn't interest me. College kicked my ass b/c I never really learned to study.

I've always been smart enough to do a lot without much effort and durable enough that I could muscle through it if extra effort was required (like staying up all night 2 or 3 nights in a row to get a report done).

I would lift weights in the off Rugby season and was always athletic enough to catch up on fitness when practices started ... except I was never fully Rugby fit until the last couple games of the season ...

I could drink too much on an important night before something and then get up and be fine the next day.

I could not get ready for a backpacking trip and be more fit than the rest of the guys.

Not these last couple of years. Life is kicking my ass and my lack of self discipline has to be overcome.

I've kind of stopped PMOing and had a date stay over the other night. Things kind of worked ...

But I've not really stopped. And I'm still drinking which contributes.

I found two beers in the fridge cleaning it out yesterday. Had them -- the old just one or two won't hurt -- last night after JUST THAT DAY committing to stopping drinking for 90 days. Beer led to a few fingers of whiskey. Fapped this morning to shake the cobwebs out. And then when I checked my blood pressure it was through the roof.

Just beautiful.

I didn't spend the day kick myself. I shook it off and lived the day like I had planned to live which was very productive on personal issues.

Yesterday, I committed myself to a hard mode 90 days that I planned on starting today.

Yes, so my lizard brain said to me last night ... I know you hadn't planned on drinking tonight but you did find those two beers. Why waste them when drinking them won' t break your hard 90 commitment - it doesn't start until tomorrow! He's so helpful that way ...

Anyway, hard mode started today.

90 days
    • No PMO, no M (tough one), no O alone (meaning as part of a date is ok)
    • Carnivore diet for 30 days (elimination diet which the nutritionist suggests will reduce the inflammation) and then moving to bringing fruits and veg into.
    • Daily metrics and fit bit focused on exercise, reducing blood pressure, correcting my poor sleep. Dr. wants me to journal and I have not consistently.
    • Lift 3 days per week; move (includes walking the dog) 45 minutes per day.
    • Meditate with headspace daily.
    • Bedtime is 11 - 8.
    • Do something everyday that balances out my work first lifestyle.
    • And journal here daily.
    Feels like groundhog day. Thing is with the blood pressure thing in the ring this time we are in season the rest of my life. I can not afford to sit down and let things chart their own course.

But then that's how I do things best -- under pressure.

RD