The Road Goes Ever On

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by Eternity, Oct 9, 2013.

1. CleanBootsBaby!

CleanBootsBaby! Active Member

Good job, man.And great goals!

This I listen a lot to; I find the "release" cathartic; and the ultimate message - positive (the message is hugely important for me), triumphing over the melancholy/sadness of the beginning:
    (there's the longer, original version that doesn't have a video)

And then, when I'm more uplifted, I switch to this:
    (careful if using earphones).

2. Eternity

Eternity Patience

@CleanBootsBaby! Nice songs! I too find that I can change my mood, to a certain degree, by listening to music. Power metal makes me feel empowered, thrash is great for killing frustration, and 80s hard rock makes me feel, I don't know, like I'm awesome?

Thanks for posting here, it really helps to motivate me.

Not much to write about, but Friday is fast approaching. I know exactly what usually happens. It would be strange if still give in, but I will be careful.

I'm nearly done reading a long history book. When it's done I'm going back to Tolkien. I have yet to read the new edits. I decided to get Beren and Lúthien first because it's a beautiful story. I hope it doesn't give me a heartache, but there's definitely a risk.

CleanBootsBaby! likes this.
  3. CleanBootsBaby!

I can relate, man!

And what you posted is a great example of the 80s music. That was a different era, brimming with energy and optimism :) (well, unless, someone was really, like, suffering, because of love, LOL). Thought I was the only one that posts music in my journal.

This being said...keep pushing on. You've got something good going on, I agree, to good to mess up this weekend :).

Eternity likes this.
  4. Eternity

Eternity Patience

I often wish that I was 5-10 years older, so that I could have experienced the 80s. When hard rock was heard everywhere, and when some bands were still great. And being there for the evolution for thrash/black/death metal. Instead, I had to grow up in the boring 90s. Well, I got X-Files at least, and thankfully Hammerfall brought back melodic metal. I'm still very fond of the power metal era around 2000, since that's when I got into metal.

I like posting a daily song. Music is a great part of my life and the days without listening to anything are rare. Was listening to this one in the car this morning, and I think it's one of the best autumn albums. A moonlit walk while listening to it would be a great experience.

In an hour or so I should be able to sleep, clearing this Friday.

-Luke- and CleanBootsBaby! like this.
  5. CleanBootsBaby!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  6. Eternity

Eternity Patience

True, I think I'm blessed because I have experienced life before Internet became common. 20 years ago, it was a realm only for nerds like myself. It was better when we actually visited our friends, right? Not meeting people has made my anxiety way worse, for sure. Nice song, I got a few addiction themed ones too. Maybe they'll appear here.

One week completed. It's been a busy weekend, not giving myself many chances to relapse, although I've had some urges. Had to force myself to do some stuff, since natural motivation is missing.

I went on a long walk in the dark in the woods, a pretty cool experience. I wanted to try, to see what it was like for the hobbits when they were leaving the Shire in the night, and seeing lights far away. Just a shame I didn't encounter any elves. I highly recommend walking in the dark, because it's interesting how other senses are sharpened when sight is limited. And a walk under the stars is always ethereal, I think.

Remember us. Remember... that we once lived...

CleanBootsBaby! likes this.
  7. CleanBootsBaby!

Right! Me, too! And I still do it - visits in person. The real thing.

Looking forward to it, if you decide to post them.

Correct.

8. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Yesterday's workout has had me tired today. The academy ones are fairly brutal, and I actually had to lower the intensity for the last 30%. Well, I've never been good at riding at high power. Instead, I'm able to go on for a long time.

Here's one. About coke, but it could easily be applied to any addiction.

You've built your own world
    (Raised for a slave)
    You will be dying if you can't
    Stop this madness
    It's up to you - It's your decay...

I really enjoy taking some time to listen to some music at the end of the day. The LotR soundtracks are something I often return to. Some pieces are just magical. It's soon the 20th anniversary of FotR, how time flies...

9. CleanBootsBaby!

Solid music, man!

Oh, 20 years?! This is nuts...I'm old as dust :D.

10. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Me too... I remember driving to the Two Towers, four people in a tiny car when it was freezing outside. I also remember how breathtaking FotR was the first time. It wasn't a perfect adaptation, but it was (and still is) beautiful. Really, really nice seeing the world of my teens come to life. For the anniversary I want to re-live the experience again, kinda. I will watch FotR around Christmas this year, then wait a year each between the next ones. I know that I am a total nerd, but that's something good that comes with age - I don't really care anymore. If I haven't outgrown fantasy worlds yet, I'm unlikely to for the rest of my life.

Gil79, -Luke- and CleanBootsBaby! like this.
  11. CleanBootsBaby!

Ha! You do you; to me, it sounds perfectly fine! :D

Actually, you're giving me some ideas :).

Eternity likes this.
  12. Old Tom Bombadil

Old Tom Bombadil Active Member

Hey Eternity
    I am a lot older than you and still right into Tolkein (you may have guessed from my YBR name!). For me it was, is and always will be cool. Best,
    Old Tom

13. Eternity

Eternity Patience

@Old Tom Bombadil Yeah, one of the most interesting characters! Wanting to live in the wood is due to him (at least I found a close place.) And since he's not in the movies, I guessed that you're a longtime fan. These days I find solace in that there are Tolkien nerds on Youtube, such as Men of the West and Nerd of the Rings. Seeing how many responsible adults still find interest in his works means that it's ageless.

I've had my interview. I did what I could, but the truth is that I'm not very good at advertising myself. So I'd be surprised if they pick me, but who knows.

Adopting a cat soon. It's a bit scary, but since it's an abandoned one, I want for it to live the rest of its life in peace. Maybe it will be good for me to have someone that needs attention. Not to mention that it should help with wall dwelling mice.

14. Thelongwayhome27

Thelongwayhome27 Well-Known Member

Congrats ! That's a win regardless.

Eternity likes this.
  15. Old Tom Bombadil

Old Tom Bombadil Active Member

Cat adoption sounds cool. I find caring for animals is a great way of getting outside your own head so to speak. On Tolkein have you ever looked at Scull and Hammond, LOrd of the Rings: A Readers Companion. Its amazing for the level of detail it gives for what is behind every paragraph, impossible to read from cover to cover! Good luck w interview result. Best,
    OTB

Eternity likes this.
  16. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Cat is stressing me out. Having lived alone for 10 years I don't know what to make of the company. It's way more social than I had expected. Hopefully I can let it outside soon for some alone moments. Never had a 100% indoors cat before, and I don't want this one to be. Just giving it a week to know where there's food, so that it shouldn't run away.

@Old Tom Bombadil No, but sounds interesting. Might take a lifetime to get through, though!

Here's another addiction song, a bit heavier this time.

Living monstrosity
    A freak for life they'll always be
    Never knowing love or hate
    Only pain the drug creates

Old Tom Bombadil likes this.
  17. CleanBootsBaby!

I'm not into Death Metal (or not that much), but those are some good lyrics.

Keep on keeping on, brah! You're getting somewhere.

18. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Broke down and cried due to the cat situation... I didn't feel like I could give it the time it needs and deserves, so I returned it. I'm still sad and close to tears, and I wonder if it was the right decision. I always thought I wanted a cat, but not all cats are like those I grew up with I suppose. Perhaps it'd work better if I get a young cat that I can raise to my wishes.

19. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Today it's a bit better. Feels a bit empty, but I can close my eyes while listening to music to relax again. Music is sacred to me, so I can't accept if that's not an option. Perhaps this means that I must live alone for the rest of my life, but in that case, so be it.

It's already mostly dark at 6PM, so autumn is here in full. Perfect for taking it easy, covered by a warm blanket. I don't want to get conquered by depression, so the key is to avoid PMO. Gotta nurture the soul with relaxing and cozy things.

I think Stormblåst has my favourite production for 90s black metal, and maybe all black metal. Quite calm and eerie sounding. If I'm not mistaken, it's the same producer for Ulver's Bergtatt.

Lovely music for stormy autumn nights, in front of an imaginary fireplace...

Thelongwayhome27 likes this.
  20. Thelongwayhome27

Thelongwayhome27 Well-Known Member

It's cool to find and pursue whatever makes us tick at a deeper level. Such as music in your case. We gotta feed our soul...

I'm not a big knower of metal but I really like the song Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen.