The Road Goes Ever On

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by Eternity, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Nope. I'm always struck by "nothing better to do" and "no point during Covid" when I try to struggle. While it may be kinda true that there's no need to be social right now, would it not be great to build some spiritual and emotional stability now?

I also completely failed a workout. Even at the start the legs felt sluggish Staying at FTP for 15 minutes was just not happening, especially not twice. I could not summon the energy. While it is due to many things, I don't think I can ignore the effect that PMO has on recovery and energy anymore. I'm going to take 1-2 weeks off the bike and sort myself out. I can't say that I have any real use for the laptop right now, so I'm going to leave the charger at work again.

Doper likes this.
  2. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Part of why I sometimes stop coming here is because I'm not good at writing lengthy, insightful posts. It's difficult for me to give support; often I can't come up with a useful reply, or only a couple of sentences. It's related and possibly due to no confidence. I'm very sorry if I come across as rude, but I really do try.

The plan is to terminate caffeine intake this weekend. It's going to be a few days of suffering, and I will allow some other junk and fast food to ease the pain. I roughly know what to expect and it would be nice to succeed.

Well, summer time allows for more outdoors work during the evening. I think I've cleared 60-70% of all the fields so another week for everything, maybe.

3. badger

badger Active Member

Eternity,
    i am not a pulitzer prize winning author. sometimes it is better to just write from the heart. no need for perfect grammar. no need to think about it. just write. this is usually the truth. and as the saying goes the truth will set you free. anything you write is excellent advice for someone who is not you. that is everyone else. hang in there my brother.

Eternity and NewStart19 like this.
  4. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Third day of no caffeine. That terrible headache has yet to happen, and at this point I doubt it will. Something of a very tired feeling today, though. The problem when making the transition has always been to drink enough water. Dehydration is always a risk, so for now I just have to force down water at scheduled times.

I told myself that I would allow anything, but I've actually not been in the mood for PMO. Perhaps temporary, but it could be important.

NewStart19 likes this.
  5. NewStart19

NewStart19 Well-Known Member

@Eternity

If you haven't felt any withdrawal headaches by now, chances are you won't feel any at all. You're lucky to be spared the discomfort : )

I actually recently started my fourth caffeine-free week a few days ago. The furthest I have ever been is a little over a month, so once I hit five weeks, I will have reached a milestone of sorts.

Although this won't come as any surprise, the most difficult days to make it through are the ones where the effects of sleep debt are palpable. But my experience is showing me that making it through days like these does the most damage to one's caffeine dependency.

I was also drinking multiple cups of caffeine-free herbal tea a day to help give me a different response to take when exposed to the stimulus of caffeine urges, but I decided to drop them entirely at three weeks. If you feel cravings or are worried about them (including on sleep-deprived days), maybe stocking up on a few boxes and trying this out for yourself could help. It may not, but they come from all-natural ingredients and aren't addictive, so there isn't much harm in giving them a shot.

Hope all's well and that you didn't eat too much junk food ; ).

Take care

Eternity likes this.
  6. Eternity

Eternity Patience

@NewStart19 Yes, I'm surprised that it wasn't worse, or even bad at all. I choose a good time to quit, having plenty of days to get some good sleep. I have quit a few times before, and I hope I can go a full month. Usually I get cravings before that.
    I'm really not a fan of tea, nor of hot drinks so I'll pass even though it may be good for me. I'm not quitting snacks just yet to avoid complete meltdown, and that makes me thirsty for water. Having water in the fridge also helps, since that's where I'd go for a drink by habit.

Nothing much to add... I was able to watch eight moose this morning, it's very rare to see that many together here. I'm done clearing the fields, and now I'm just clearing some connected lawn that I'd rather add to the fields. I bought a couple of rain barrels today so now I can store quite a bit of water. I think I'm going to settle for a compromise regarding the pond this year; I'll make a tiny one by using a plastic bowl. Anything helps, and especially any water area. From what I've heard it only takes a few days before the first creatures settle in.

Every now and then I pick up some music that I normally wouldn't, and this time I found a contender for album of the year:

Love the 80s feel, a decade that I always mourn not (really) being part of. At least the music lives on, and I definitely need to expand my collection with some more commercial albums.

NewStart19 likes this.
  7. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Habitual relapse last night No urges, just Friday night boredom. Well, the main objective for a few more weeks is to get off the caffeine and sugar, and that's still going. I've been tired throughout the week, but as the week passed it gradually got better. And when I experienced a heavy head it didn't come with the pounding headache that is common for caffeine deprivation.

I went for a bike ride outside this week, just a short gravel ride. It was tough due to a bad headwind and soft, loose gravel. But more than so I wonder how beneficial indoors cycling actually was? I suppose I'll have to wait and see until I can get the road bike ready. If it's not stormy today I'm going to clean it, and put the gravel bike on the trainer.

Shady likes this.
  8. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Been trying some 30 min workouts on Zwift, and they're fun. I can go pretty hard and still feel ok after. It looks like 10c+ this weekend, so then it's finally time for a proper outdoor ride. My long endurance event was postponed, so there's no pressure to train for it right now. I'll slowly ramp up the distance during the summer, and possibly ride the event distance once or twice before.

Since the fields are finally "done" I've taken on some smaller tasks. We got daylight until 9PM now which is nice, just sucks I can't stay up much later due to early work. When I gain some balance post caffeine I may be able to do with a little less sleep, but right now I need nearly 8 hours.

Two weeks without sugar (well, mostly) and caffeine this weekend. Perhaps it's time to put an effort in with PMO. I had one of those weird dreams that left me feeling empty, that something is missing.

Shady likes this.
  9. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Not much to say, but I survived last night, believe it or not. Going cycling as planned in the afternoon, and I got a few things to do outside as well. I might get through the whole weekend.