The Road Goes Ever On

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by Eternity, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Day nine: sudden urges

Urges to look up stuff hit me, and I was close to do that. Instead I've come here, hoping that it will change my mind. I think it's helping, I seem able to surf the urges now. I'm not at work tomorrow, so I got a few things planned. I don't want to ruin it by being PMO hungover.

Before the urges I managed to get a lot of wood chopped. A few days ago I got done with the most gnarly bits, and progress is much faster now. I can actually see it disappearing, which is good motivation. I should be able to get done with all of the fir wood soon.

Tomorrow I need to mow the lawn again. It's only been a week, but it's already tall enough to hide in again. I don't mind, though. It's good exercise, but annoyingly it hardly counts for any steps. I may go for a morning walk, so that doesn't matter, though. I want something to do in the morning before stores open, and what better then than a 90 minute walk?

Shady likes this.
  2. Shady

Shady Active Member

Stay strong.

We're all in this together.

Eternity likes this.
  3. Living

Living Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the 9 days! It's very important you show yourself you can do this. And the morning walk sounds like a very good plan indeed:)

Eternity likes this.
  4. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Day ten, early. Danger over for now? There are triggers everywhere, though. Especially since the weather has turned hot. I need to be careful where I tread the upcoming days. The next goal is two weeks.

I went for the walk as planned, and it was really nice. I wish I could do this every morning, but I'm not that keen on getting up at 4:30. I also went over my monthly budget, and despite some heavy purchases, I may not have to spend more than I earned for May. It's going to be close, but I think I can go break-even, at least.

Well, the car is loaded with things that are to be recycled, so soon the day can begin for real.

By the way, today is the global cycling day, so I'll definitely take the time to go for a ride. The weather on Saturday seems to be foul, so I'll do the long ride on Sunday for which I'll have plenty of time to recover.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  5. Gil79

Gil79 Seize the day

I read REcycling day at first, since you're doing that too :D

Eternity likes this.
  6. Living

Living Well-Known Member

That's awesome. I'm still considering telling my girlfriend that I want to go birdwatching in the early mornings some time soon. But I don't think now is really the right time. Perhaps next year.

7. Shady

Shady Active Member

@Eternity Yaaay. Day 10. Keep going.
    You can do two weeks.

Eternity likes this.
  8. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Evening post. I managed to get 56 more km in before part 1 of the big event. It was a pretty easy ride, about 2 hours, so it gives me more confidence about the weekend. Then I mowed the lawn for almost 3 hours, so I'm pretty tired. I don't think sleeping will be a problem tonight.

I spotted both a dragonfly and a ladybug in the garden today. The latter makes me happy, because there's bound to be more. I also love how white wagtails always show up after mowing. They're quite amusing to watch, especially when they run. I also saw a run over hedgehog in town this morning, which made me very sad.

@Living I guess to most people, getting up at that hour is out of the question. But even when I used to get up later, there was something nice about rising early. There's just something about how tranquil and silent the world seems.

Shady likes this.
  9. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Dead tired today, but maybe no wonder considering yesterday. As always after mowing I get hay fever symptoms, and that was on top of a busy day. Despite this I've done some work and I'm now just going to relax. I spotted another dragonfly today so that's promising.

I think I got a pretty good living room layout, but I always think that it can get better. I'd like to get further away from the speakers, but that also means further away from the TV. It's a dilemma that's ever gnawing on my mind. Ultimately I'll probably just keep this one to avoid wasting time. I've toyed with the idea of a dedicated TV room but at the same time I like to have everything in the same room. I bet this isn't the last time I'll consider it.

I decided to put on some old Summoning tonight. LMHSYF is one of those rare albums that never get old. It's perfect music to relax to, too.

Living likes this.
  10. Shady

Shady Active Member

Is it wise to make a private room for TV during reboot? If you know for sure you'll not relapse this way, then by all means go for it.

11. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Day thirteen. I survived another Friday; I didn't even open the laptop. It is something I used to do a year ago, and if I have no real computer business on Fridays it's something that I will continue. Instead I watched The Two Towers after which it was easy to fall asleep. It's incredible how stunning the films look after nearly 20 years.

It's been raining all night and it seems to continue well into the evening. That's good, I'm still afraid that it's going to be another extremely dry summer so every little bit helps. It also smells wonderfully outside so I will put on a raincoat and go for a walk after this. The plan is still to ride 150k tomorrow, but it's going to be fairly windy. There were some actual storm winds last night, and if that happens again on Sunday I'll cancel. Headwind is fine, but when it actually gets dangerous it's a bad idea.

Happy Swedish national day! Well, it's not something that I celebrate, but I think it's wrong that I can't feel good about being Swedish. We have a rich history and a country of very diverse landscapes. Something that is semi-taboo to mention is the Swedish Empire of which Sabaton made an album. This song from it is one of the most emotional ones I've heard. There's also an English version but in my opinion it's nowhere near as good.

@Shady Even my current living room is just a couple of curtains away from being private, so I don't think that would matter. Like I said, I'm happy with it as it is, but I think that the sound output is not optimal. In the end it has to come down to what I consider most important - cinema experience or music experience.

Shady and BoughtWithBlood like this.
  12. Shady

Shady Active Member

Good job on 13 days.

Eternity likes this.
  13. Eternity

Eternity Patience

The wind won't let up, in fact it's become even worse. As of writing it is dangerous to go for a ride but I will keep monitoring the weather report. The original plan was to head out early tomorrow morning, but my stomach acted up a few hours ago, so I haven't been able to eat anything for dinner. The new plan is to head out after lunch tomorrow, and if that fails, do a double run at the end of next week. I refuse to give up and unless the storm continues I will complete the challenge.

Today I got a couple of cucumber plants which I planted in the MacGyver'd greenhouse. That's one of the highlights of summer: "free" cucumbers. I'm going to sow some salad as well. I hope everything grows as planned, because I find this location nice for a greenhouse.

I also attempted to rearrange the living room, but nothing turned out as good as the current layout. Instead I looked up some guidelines for speakers, and moved them so that when I sit in the sofa, I'm at a much better distance from them. It sounds much better now and the sometimes overwhelming bass is gone (it was probably due to the speakers being too close to the side walls.)

I ordered new tyres for the bike, too. Mostly for backup/replacement when the current ones wear out, but also because I want to try 28mm wide again. Since I really like Conti GP4000 it seems obvious to go for the new GP5000s. I've heard they can be difficult to fit, though, so I figured I'll try a pair of Schwalbe's. I've yet to get a puncture with a Conti tyre so it will be interesting to see if they're as reliable.

Thelongwayhome27 likes this.
  14. Eternity

Eternity Patience

There's still strong wind and gusts, but it seems to calm down a bit into the afternoon. I'm motivated to go out regardless, though. Watching cycling videos help to fuel the fire, and I found (as always) a great one from Vegan Cyclist that helped a ton. Compared to that ride, this will be a walk in the park. And really, what's an adventure without hardships. Fighting the wind is 90% mental strength and if I can overcome it, I'm going to become a much better cyclist. I've decided to bring some extra energy; it's better to carry a bit too much than to run out with 50 km to go.

The ride will take the rest of the day, and PMO is so not on my mind right now. That said, I'm aware of what happened a year ago when I totally hit the wall. Since then I have improved my energy plan, so I should be at less risk. But it's a risk nonetheless which I will keep in mind.

15. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Day 15.

Ride report: the start was delayed due to rain. I'm trying not to get affected by the weather, but I lost it then. I got super mad and wanted to give up. After calming down I decided to at least try. If it was too wet I'd just turn back. It turns out the rain was very local, and apart from a few drops I wasn't bothered by it during the whole ride. I started out slowly, because early on there's a part with several climbs. Having cleared that I could enjoy a nice tailwind, and except for a few places I wasn't troubled by the wind. Legs began to hurt at around 100k in, especially when it turned to flat land for many miles with no chance to stop pedaling. Energy level was good throughout the ride, and I even managed to squeeze out some decent power for the final 10k. It took just under 6 hours with three stops.

It's time for part two on Friday. It will be a bit longer (165k - just over a complete century) and I think I got a suitable plan for where to go. I'm thinking of making it a night ride, to start around midnight and experience the sunrise somewhere on the road. What I need to do differently is to allow more stops where I get off the bike. Maybe once every 90 minutes, or so. I won't chase any time either, it's fine if it takes 8 hours.

The legs are fairly recovered today, but I have been tired all day. I got back pretty late, after all. I will focus on recovery all the way until Friday (meaning, no hard exercise, I will still be active.)

On a completely different topic, the band I posted the other day, Sabaton, is going to tour Sweden in early 2021. It's one of few big Swedish bands that still do that, and I can't wait. I'm going to get a ticket right away.

Living and BoughtWithBlood like this.
  16. Eternity

Eternity Patience

Day 16. There's not much to write, since it's mid-week. I altered the ride route a bit to avoid some of the busiest roads. The roads will be familiar to me, by car at least. I wish that there was somewhere completely new I could go for this, though. I'm going to keep looking for something suitable, but also keep in mind that this is not the final ride I'll ever do. There will be plenty of time for exploration in the future. A dream I got is to head out on a vacation trip for about a week. It would be nice to ride to the Gotland ferry, ride around the island, and ride back home. It would be an estimated 700-800 km. Maybe next year?

Gil79 and BoughtWithBlood like this.
  17. BoughtWithBlood

BoughtWithBlood Active Member

I don’t have much with bike riding myself, but what you’re doing is impressive! Do you ride these long distances by yourself, or do you have a group of people to go with?

Eternity likes this.
  18. Shady

Shady Active Member

Why next year?

Gil79 likes this.
  19. -Luke-

-Luke- Well-Known Member

Sounds good. If I remember correctly my sister and her boyfriend were there two years ago (without bikes). Could be quite windy, right?

Living likes this.
  20. Living

Living Well-Known Member

Day 16 already. It's really cool to see how well you are doing!

Eternity likes this.