<<<<<---Telephone Conference - Every Wednesday--->>>>>

Discussion in 'Accountability Partners' started by al1234, Jun 14, 2013.

1. al1234

al1234 Guest

you can press *6 any time to mute your phone (ie you can hear but other guys can't hear you), and *6 to unmute.

2. High_Achiever

High_Achiever New Member

So you guys called in from your phone? Nobody used Skype?

@Freedom did you used the format as described in Al's first post?

I remember you posting in our group, we're having our first meeting next sunday so it would be cool to have some advice.

3. al1234

al1234 Guest

I called in on skype, I have a subscription so i can call for free (obviously the subscription costs, I think about £5 a month)

4. Connoisseur of Lotions

Connoisseur of Lotions Proactive Rehabber

This is a great idea. I wanted to chime in but had my hands full moving two refrigerators, still listened in with my cell phone on mute.

One of the participants mentioned another recovery workshop besides Recovery Nation, what was the name again? I think river was the one who was talking about it. Also someone said they have to work on their computer, if its possible try to spend all your computer & internet time in public places, try to split up your time at different coffee shops, libraries, malls, McDonalds, anywhere there is WiFi - you could even get a 4G adapter with a citywide internet plan and do your work at the park or on the beach. :D Just don't use the internet at home unless you're jacking it like PeeWee Herman that should prevent 99% of your relapses.

To save time the regulars might want to keep intros at 30 seconds, write a detailed bio in their journals for the curious.

5. JustDoIt

JustDoIt Never give up, Never give up!, NEVER GIVE UP!

Dude, like that idea. That's what we'd do anyway on the forum.

6. freedomfromcybersex

freedomfromcybersex rebooting my brain, reclaiming my body.

high achiever, i am loosely following that format, with the added piece that it does tend to run into a bit of a conversation on whatever topic emerges... this time it was triggers/cravings and ways of managing them that we have found are effective.

as a new facilitator, i am wanting to be egalitarian, but also try and stay on track and encourage us all to drop in and speak about our own experience and struggles as we would in a classical recovery meeting.

have been open to feedback and am only volunteering to lead because it is important to me to have the group be regular!

can't go back - good idea.

connoisseur, thanks for being the "secretary" of what happens - very cool to keep others informed i think!

7. freedomfromcybersex

connoisseur, the book River mentioned was this one, i too have found it very useful.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mindfulness-Workbook-Addiction-Addictive/dp/1608823407

it is a cognitive psychology workbook for dealing with the underlying thoughts and emotions that in the past we have used addictive behavior to avoid.

it goes well with the strategy of using meditation as a tool for recovery as well. calm.com is a great resource for this approach to optimizing your reboot by activating neuroplasticity!

8. JustDoIt

9. freedomfromcybersex

ha!

fair question!

obviously this is an anonymous forum and i noticed in the avatar prompt there were these images of celebrities.

i have been told i look a bit like hugh jackman, and i had this fierce image of him as wolverine up until a few days ago, but then felt it was too aggressive seeming.

so i changed it for this one.

i like it because part of my recovery is exercise and a sense of reclaiming masculine power, virility and health.

is it too much, or does it convey something else to you?

10. freedomfromcybersex

changed it - this one seems less narcissistic! :) and perhaps less potentially triggering, which may may been your point?

11. High_Achiever

High_Achiever New Member

I have the same goal as well! A sense of manhood is really something that's high on my reboot goals.

If people say that you look like Hugh Jackman, then consider yourself blessed. ;D

I once had Brad Pitt though, I think she was just nice, haha ;D

12. freedomfromcybersex

all bragging aside, i once had a lover tell me she thought (proportionally) i had a face like the poor guy in edward munch's famous painting the scream! lol

http://artobserved.com/artimages/2012/05/Edvard-Munch-The-Scream-Detail-Sothebys-Impressionist-and-Modern-Sale-20121.jpg

13. freedomfromcybersex

can't go back, loro, or al, (and also connoisseur, and looking ahead) let me know anytime you wanna lead - i am very much wanting to share this role!

14. JustDoIt

No. didn't have any points in mind to make. I just couldn't make out the guys face, & realized they're mostly actor icons.. Didn't seem aggressive to me. Just thought it was a runner with a sort of calm face. Couldn't relate it to "freedom"! Thought for a minute you'd put your own pic up, then realized it probably wasn't, ::) anonymity etc!! I've heard guys explain their icons saying they picked 'em cause they meant something, so figured I'd ask ! I like Wolverine, BTW. His emotions take over sometimes, but he comes back around to reality. but never saw the guy out of makeup. (And I have a real hard time remembering actor/actress names anyway!)

15. freedomfromcybersex

ok - so tell me about your lion avatar... :)

16. JustDoIt

Guess I deserve the question :) . Couple levels.

First off, a counselor I went to for awhile was helping me with my self-esteem. He gave me a pic of a grown male lion looking at a picture of himself. The picture was of a grown male lion looking into a mirror and seeing a little kitty starting back. At the time, I had recovered a lot in a lot of ways and was fairly confident overall, except for the low self-esteem popping up here n there. Today, I see myself as the grown male lion with an occasional struggle where I forget just who I am. I know I'm OK and I'm pretty confident when I'm sane, but sometimes I forget! So, it's a picture of me.

Secondly, it's a picture of the Aslan character in the Chronicles of Narnia series (book & movie series by C. S. Lewis) It's an image relating to my relationship with Jesus as a Christian.

PS, I'm inclined to help facilitate the phone meetings down the road a bit. (re my PM), this next week I don't know my schedule and may not be online. And also, I sort of wanted to hang around a few times to catch how you're doing it so I feel like I know the ropes first! Think service is a great opportunity though, so again, am inclined to want to help! Thanks for not wanting to hold the reins just to make yourself important!! 8)

PSS. If you look like the guy in The Scream, then we must be related back somewhere! ;)

17. High_Achiever

High_Achiever New Member

well you don't want to mess with a lion that is ;D

18. freedomfromcybersex

ha ha.

yea all good man, and nice personal mythology. :)

19. freedomfromcybersex

it's time to commit to our wednesday meeting guys, and invite your buddies on here! the more the merrier, the deeper, the more inspiring and encouraging!

looking forward to being with you all in authentic sharing and support.

stay strong!

20. freedomfromcybersex

hey!!! where you boys at?! ???