Starting on my birthday

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by GottaChange76, Jan 10, 2017.

1. GottaChange76

GottaChange76 Member

I think I'll just keep myself busy when she heads out of town again. Maybe go over to a friend's house. I should put some controls on my computer, too.

I don't know. My main strategy is to be stronger.

2. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Not putting controls on your computer is like being a coke addict and leaving bags of cocaine on your night stand. It doesn't work in early recovery.

GottaChange76 likes this.
  3. GottaChange76

GottaChange76 Member

I think I didn't put them on because I knew in the back of my mind I would want to relapse. I know better this time.

Billy B. likes this.
  4. Lowdo

Lowdo Well-Known Member

I'd agree with 40New30 on that. Having filters won't cure you, but trying to stay away from P early on is very difficult without something to at least make it a bit more difficult than just opening a browser...

I find the best way is to implement OpenDNS filtering on your router (Netgear routers have it built in). That way every device on your home network is that bit safer. It's not perfect (and it certainly didn't cure me on its own...) but it's saved me from relapse.

40New30 - Good analogy by the way! I'll remember that...

GottaChange76 likes this.
  5. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Thanks, guys. Blockers are not a fool proof solution, there is no fool proof solution...but it helped me early on to not fuck up, even in this current long streak. If I had relapsed who knows where I would be? Probably still relapsing. It's not easy to admit that you are an addict and can't control yourself, but there it is.

Billy B. and GottaChange76 like this.
  6. jjveetec

jjveetec Well-Known Member

I haven't used any blockers and filters and I'm midway through the 5-th month clean.
    Also, to me it's mostly about releasing the illusion of control than trying to control things. The less control the more smooth things are going. Whenever I tense and try to control stuff, the harder it is for me.

Billy B. likes this.