Running for Your Mind

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by SeekingWisdom, Jul 2, 2019.

1. SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom Member

I hate running.
    I have always thought the act of running around aimlessly incredibly boring. Don't get me wrong, I love sports and will run all day to play basketball. But running just to run and for the health benefits has never appealed to me.

This past week I started a new group devotional plan called Soulcon. It is written by a former member of the US military and it incorporates fitness and eating well into our faith in Christ. I tell you this because a couple days ago one of the assignments was to research the mental health benefits of running. What I found amazed me and one of the first things I thought of was sharing with this group.

Here is the very first link the pops up on google:
    https://www.podiumrunner.com/10-mental-health-benefits-running_165899

It's all stuff we are dealing with! Depression, anxiety, self esteem. And check out the last one: It helps the brain heal from substance abuse!

Here is another one for those of you that don't want to use the google machine:
    https://www.verywellfit.com/the-mental-benefits-of-jogging-2911666

Disclaimer: I still don't really 'enjoy' it. But it gave me a whole different motivation behind it other than just the physical benefits.

Disclaimer #2: I have only done a couple of 5k jog/walks since I've done the "research", so I don't have any real personal experience to pass along. But I found this stuff out and I thought I should pass it along. It just fits what we are fighting so perfectly. (To bad it totally sucks right?)

I love finding out stuff like this. Hope it helps some of you as well. Maybe it's already know throughout the group?

Keep fighting!

2. Living

Living Well-Known Member

I have always 'liked' running. It's the being outside, particularly if it's out in nature. And I get this good feeling that I don't get when I go to the gym. I have been going to the gym for over 10 years to stay in shape, but it never gave me that good feeling that running can give me. However, like you I sometimes had a problem with motivation. Sometimes because it envolves being outside...and it rains:) Last year that changed though. I was talking about running with my brother in law and he proposed to do this local 4 mile run. I said okay. Having something to train for made such a difference for me. After that run I did another run, but then I realized I needed something extra to keep me motivated all the time. So I bought a sports watch (Polar M430: really good quality for a reasonable price) and that was the best buy I ever did when it comes to sports. It's the being able to push yourself, but also that you can see your stats and improvement. It makes you able to make goals for every training and to see how you can reach those goals. And all that just makes me feel so good:)

So yeah, I can really see how running is beneficial to the way you feel in general and the way you feel about yourself. And that's something that can defenitly make a difference when you try to get your life back on track.