Rest of my life

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by Kenny75, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Kenny75

Kenny75 New Member

Thanks @Clovis6. Basically I was trying to make a major decision on something in my life plus I was stewing unto a big disappointment I have been living with these past few years. I suspect I couldn't nor would not face these, so turned to MO for escapism.

2. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Commitment is all important. How about listing ten reasons why you want to permanently change your life e.g. 'to feel proud of yourself', 'to connect more closely with God' - really think about the things that matter to you. I'm not saying you have to post it here, you could write it out on paper and keep the list with you. Reviewing it often may help solidify commitment. Without it, you'll be going round in circles and relying on willpower alone.

You mentioned you're covering up a major disappointment in your life. Is there anything you can do to start coming to terms with it?

Kenny75 likes this.
  3. Clovis6

Clovis6 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. When sometimes faced with big decisions we have to make, or events we have to face, there’s the temptation to freeze and not face - and then look for relief.....in this case with PMO.

Kenny75 likes this.
  4. Kenny75

Kenny75 New Member

Thanks @forlorn and @Clovis6 . I was going to run away and hide, but decided to hang in and confess. I'm afraid I went on a MO binge last night and today. Today I had to travel to a location that brought back terrible memories. Coupled with trying to process and move on from a major disappointment, it got too much. Anyway I'm digging into the Heart Of Addiction book. It's striking a chord with me. I will log on tomorrow and provide help for readers kind enough to read my log.

positivef likes this.
  5. Clovis6

Clovis6 Well-Known Member

There’s a huge amount of running away and hiding associated with PMO and the shame of it all. I think it’s only when we reallly start facing up to it, and allowing it out into the open, by that I mean being open about it to ourselves not necessarily another person, that we start to see a change.

Kenny75 likes this.
  6. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

Appreciate your honesty and well done for continuing to post here despite what happened. I think it's helpful to carry on writing through the bad times and the good. It can be healing to write things down and you may gain a better awareness of your own situation. Nobody here will judge you, as we all share the same struggles.

Kenny75 likes this.
  7. Vanoli16

Vanoli16 Member

@Kenny75 -

Way to be honest with yourself. You had to reset your counter...all good. Keep posting, and keep moving forward. For me, it's not always a straight line. That is what I'm committed to, but I'm human.

That being said, some of the questions @Clovis6 suggested above do seem very valuable to reflect on.

Kenny75 likes this.