Reducing My Internet Time to Something Reasonable

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by Arthur, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Arthur

Arthur Guest

Day 1

I'm starting my own thread in this sub-forum, mainly to keep myself accountable. My goal: to reduce my time spent using the computer -- whether online or not -- each day to something much less than what it is now. What that number should be, I'm not sure yet. But I feel that if I keep track of it, it will help me to reduce it.

I plan to post my daily useage times here in this thread at the end of every day.

I'm using a google chrome timer for that purpose.

It seems to me I need to keep this really simple in order for it to work. So I'm not going to worry too much about what computer time is for work, what is for education, what is for recreation, etc. Because essentially, I am just entangled in the computer big time, and I need to reduce the overall, big picture. I need to reduce all of it.

I'm a bit like the Borg on Star Trek, the Next Generation.

My purpose here is to dis-entangle myself. To discover means of engaging myself in life apart from the computer. At the moment, I use the computer for almost everything. One example is to read actual books, instead of reading so much on the internet.

So far today, I've spent 2 hrs 37 minutes using the computer. (I don't have a smart phone).

At the end of the day, I'll check back with a final report.

I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow, so for the next several days I won't be using the computer much. I also plan to have one internet-free day during my vacation.

2. Arthur

Arthur Guest

I would like to clarify, I am keeping track of time when the laptop computer is in my lap; when I am actively using it. If I put the computer on the shelf, I turn off the timer, even though music might be playing from it, or a video might be playing, etc.

3. Arthur

Arthur Guest

Day 1

3 hrs., 35 min. of computer useage

Non-working day

4. Arthur

Arthur Guest

Day 2

2 hrs. of computer useage.

A non-working, travel day.

5. Palindrome5

Palindrome5 New Member

A good way to reduce computer time is to not play music, as it makes being on the computer slightly more boring. You'll notice it when there's complete silence on waiting times (eg/ page takes a while to load).

6. Arthur

Arthur Guest

Thank you for the pointer. But music is one of the great joys of my life. :) And as what you quoted pointed out, the computer at that time is on the shelf, and I am doing something entirely different, not related to the computer, but listening to the music in the background.

7. Arthur

Arthur Guest

Day 3

2 hrs., 15 min.

Vacation day.

Day 4

1 hr., 45 min.

Vacation day.

8. Arthur

Arthur Guest

I won't be posting further to this thread. I've decided to track my own progress with respect to internet use, privately, and OFFLINE. Basically, the reason is this: I already have one journal here where I check in regularly, where I am trying to be free from M and P. I need to check in, because the accountability is very important. So one journal is enough. Because to have two, only makes me spend even more time on the internet. So I am going to KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

Adios, muchachos.