New Here - Finally Serious About Stopping

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by harvesterofsorrow, Mar 5, 2016.

1. M-man...no doubt. I used to sort of cringe at those counters...but now i don't fear them. they are a testimony to what is working for guys like yourself. so thank you for sharing. i will not concede that my counter can keep ticking forward into infinity...

2. Twenty-nine you'd think I'd know better
    Living like a kid
    When my lies may seem less than clever
    Is when I fall for it
    Only time will tell if wishing wells
    Can bring us anything
    Or fade like scenes from childhood dreams
    Forgotten memories
    Some rides don't have much of a finish
    That's the ride I took
    Through good and bad and straight through indifference
    Without a second look
    There's no intentions worthy of mention
    If we never try
    So hang your hopes on rusted-out hinges
    Take 'em for a ride.
    -- "29" by Gin Blossoms

3. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

30 days tomorrow, if you can do 30 you have the skill to do 300 or 3000. Remember what you've learned.

4. thanks, man! i'm psyched about 30...big time. been few and far between. and, yes, i DO BELIEVE that i can do 300 by doing 30. i really do. 3000 is still something that remains as mysterious to me as the year 2035. but, in principle, i'm on board. i know you've gone way longer before but i hope we stay on this journey to new personal bests...and forevermore even!...be well, bro.

5. Tony74

Tony74 Guest

Congrats on 30 days bro! Keep up the good work!

6. thank, man! and triple congrats on almost 100!!! that's amazing!

7. I know whatever lies I use to get myself to sleep
    I wake up to the promises I know we couldn't keep
    Say you don't see what's wrong
    Every night lasts too long
    So long I know, I do
    You're already gone.
    -- "Already Gone", Blue Rodeo

8. Guy_Stewart

Guy_Stewart Well-Known Member

HOS:

Thanks for joining the community; thanks for joining the community that supports ME.

I am, no matter what happens, proud of you for being here. Proud of your commitment. Heck, I'm just proud we're on the same team.

Know that I am with you; I'll be holding you up in my prayers and thoughts.

9. Guy, thanks man. Means a lot. You said something really nice EXACTLY when I needed it. That's usually 40's job (ha!) but I'll take anyone here....all the regulars are quality peeps!...so, yeah, thanks! Feeling small and petty right now to be honest. But glad I'm sober. Wishing almost everything else in my life were different but at least one thing is going well - my sobriety. All this stress and still not really troubled by temptation (yet). I *must* stay vigilant. Proud of your 24 days man! Let's keep soldiering on!

10. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Emotional withdrawal symptoms aren't easy on us, HOS. But it's a hell of a lot easier than staying an active addict...I should know. :)

11. And there he is! See, close second this time and that's good enough for a tie in my book :)

Keep battling, gents...or simply put your burden on the Lord...that's what I'm doing and it's making this burden quite a bit easier to manage...

12. I've looked at love from both sides now
    From up and down and give and take
    From win and lose and still somehow it's love's illusions that I recall
    I really don't know, I really don't know...
    -- "Both Sides Now", Joni Mitchell

13. Cut your losses and leave
    While you still can
    Don't ever look back
    At this place again...
    -- "Roman Hearts" by Creeper Lagoon

14. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Another day another dollar.

15. Ain't that the truth??! Yeah, I'm honestly in sort of a danger zone...the first stirring of temptation. I knew they'd come. I feel prepared. But I gotta stay on guard for sure. The Lord just hugely blessed an effort I'm involved in that will hopefully lead to a career change out of a line of work I can't stand and into something entrepreneurial. So I think He did that just when I needed it. Prayed hard for a big answer and He came through. So I also take that as He will supply the strength I need to get through these dangerous days that I feel are coming. Hope you're all doing well...and especially you 40!! 22 and 33 is starting to look pretty impressive!

16. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Isn't crazy that we can come so far and then get taken down out of the blue? Addiction is a fascinating (and scary) thing to experience, because you have to learn so much about yourself and your nature as a human being.

I've had a few crazy cravings in the past week, two really big ones, and I totally shut them down fast. We all need a fail safe plan when they strike, break the pattern with your mind, with your body, with your spirit. The cravings don't last, but they are intoxicating as all get out...they will hijack the most sober of men.

We're on our way, can't wait to get back to 3 solid months, the clouds really part for me after 3 months...but I'm doing great right now, and enjoying it too.

17. 40...I'm right there with ya. Glad to hear (as I didn't know) that I'm not the only one dealing with evil little devils on the shoulder. Small now but I know how big they can get. Thanks for reminding me that it's MY CHOICE...not P's. I choose to stay sober today. And God willing tomorrow as well. Put the armor back on. Will be reading Scripture in a few and that always helps me get focused again. The forum -- big duh! there...true God-send. Dude, we're living on blind hope in some ways so I'll end it with my lyric for the day:

Don't mind and don't regret it, forget what's gone and here's your warning
    Bring it down and break it in
    Casting it out, reeling it in, living on blind hope again
    Casting it out, reeling it in, living on blind hope again.
    -- "Blind Hope", Son Volt

18. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

Faith is what holds the world together when you think about things, faith that you dollar bills will get you a coffee, faith that your car with start, faith that gravity will hold, the world runs on faith.

Son Volt was a great band, nice.

19. Truth, 40...truth. Everyone has faith whether they admit/acknowledge it or not. Exactly as you said.

Today is kinda difficult I have to admit. It's like I'm forcing myself to be tempted. Does that make sense? I gotta get through this and to Day 40. Going to be reading here a lot tonight.

And, yes!, Son Volt's first three were classic albums. Always though those first three stomped all over Wilco who of course got all the glory and love. But Jay was The Man for me both in Uncle Tupelo and SV.

20. 40New30

40New30 Keep going

You're probably trying to unconsciously wake up your libido, which eventually will happen anyway. It's like you're ready for a fight that you know is coming soon and you want it to hurry up and come.

Uncle Tupelo was the purest incarnation, young Jay, young Jeff.