Looking for love in all the wrong places...

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by NCBob, May 6, 2014.

1. Saville

Saville Well-Known Member

Yeah, have a good one! :)

NCBob likes this.
  2. NCBob

NCBob The 11th commandment: Thou shalt not peek:-)

Thanks, Saville. Had a great time down south, then turned around and flew north to go to a funeral for my uncle. Beautiful ceremony - and a wonderful celebration of his life. He was a music teacher, performer, and writer, and many of his former students sang/performed during the service. His son gave a most moving eulogy, and spoke about his father in an entirely loving way. I know they had issues when he was younger, which made it even more remarkable that he was able stretch beyond the dysfunction and speak from his heart. It reminded me that I would be hard pressed to speak about my father in the same way if I were to speak at his funeral (hasn't happened yet and don't know if I would be asked or if I would want to). As mentioned previously, my dad is a control freak, and still running full tilt (at times) at 92. He had asked me to drive he and my mom to the service (which was slightly short of a miracle), and then proceeded to try and tell me how drive when we approached a "no right turn on red" intersection. I just patted him on the shoulder and said 'thank God I have 50 years of driving experience behind me." :)

I had good conversations with both of my sisters while I was there, which was great. My mindset was to focus on the good and leave it at that.

After about 30 hours with family, it was time to fly back home, and I was ready. When I got home, I realized that I had quite a few emotions unearthed during my visit; one of which was that I felt broken. Being around my dad and watching him try to control my mom while she was on the phone with my sister (she had just arrived and was trying to get into the retirement community), reminded me of of how much of a negative influence my dad was on our family. Not completely, for sure, and yet still with the destructiveness of a slow moving F5 tornado. I had a moment of clarity of just how fucked up my home was when growing up, and of how incredibly difficult it was on everyone, including myself. I have had to work through some major league shit these past 32 years.

So I just allowed myself to sit in my feelings of brokenness, and after about 24 hours or so, moved to the other side of it. I spent the rest of the week processing feelings about my dad, thought seriously about writing him a letter about what I was thinking, and finally arrived at a place of feeling OK about letting this go. This has been a good choice.

I've had a few excursions on the PMO highway over the past couple of weeks, and while riding high on the wave, have continued to feel exceptionally conflicted in that space. The stuff that I was exposed to at home in my formative years really impacted my core being - and while I have no cognitive memories of what I was exposed to, I sense that I'm still carrying residual emotional fall-out from my Dad's sexual abuse of my older sister. In some ways, my PMO excursions feel therapeutic, and in some ways, they feel like I'm staying stuck. I continue to feel shame-free and guilt-free after the fact of the matter (PMO), and that is a good thing. I do not beat myself up, nor do I get lost in the coulda, woulda, shouldas.

Business is great, and I feel blessed to do exactly what I want to do, and what I love to do. My relationship with my ex and with my daughter continue to remain excellent.

Still, more work to do, and looking forward to getting more of my shit worked out.:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Saville, A New Man and Bobo like this.
  3. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member

Truly a advanced soul. Compassion a wonderful attitude.

NCBob and Saville like this.
  4. NCBob

Thanks, Bobo - I appreciate that:)

Although some days, a little more advanced than others, lol:D

Boxer17 likes this.
  5. Saville

Wow, you processed a lot. It's remarkable how we're all still standing after so much dysfunction. Big kudos to you for all the work you've done on yourself and that you continue to do.

This is just a thought that struck me and, obviously, I could be way off-base. However, if you will excuse my foray into pop-psychology, this is what occurred to me: PMO is abuse. When we engage in watching actors on-screen have sex, while pulling on our pud, we are abusing our dopamine system. We are also saying to ourselves (at least I believe this is true) that we are not worthy of loving human touch. The fact that we don't necessarily feel much shame or guilt is because, on some level, we wish to remain stuck. PMO hides our feelings from us, it makes them inaccessible. When I was PMO'ing I couldn't even feel pride at my children's accomplishments. I was a detached eunuch.

I agree that feeling shame and guilt leads us nowhere and that shoulds and coulds and woulds, likewise, do us no favors. But, doing PMO and feeling fairly OK with it is not a natural state of affairs. Why? Because, in order to be a fully actualized person we must feel. What I'm reading is that you feel sort of numb about the whole thing, which I think is where you've always been. I remember reading in the early pages of your journal the exact same sentiment above. So, here's my pop-psychology observation. Because I think PMO is abuse, and because your dad abused your sister, you are continuing his abuse; except it is now on yourself. In essence, you've become the abuser. What your father did was an act of evil, an act of terror on a vulnerable and defenseless child. What better way to stop the abuse than to inflict harm upon yourself? A child, a brother, would do almost anything to help a sister he loved.

I apologize for getting heavy here. I'm laying down what seemed to strike me in the face. I acknowledge that I'm just a dude who is struggling the same as everyone else here. Anyway, I don't seem to be able to not say the things that go through my brain. I think my motive for writing them down is to be helpful, but perhaps I've way overstepped my bounds.

Libertad and NCBob like this.
  6. NCBob

Hey Saville, I appreciate your thoughts and agree 100 percent with you:)

No way that you could ever overstep your bounds with me, Saville. If you ever crossed a line, I'd invite you back to the other side, and we'd still be buds:D

I'm clearly keeping myself stuck through continued PMO - and while I am able to tune into most of my emotions quite easily, I'm also continuing to medicate my emotions and keep myself in that traumatized state I experienced early on in life.

Since all of this began happening at such an early age, being immersed in this toxicity has been my normal from almost day one. Even though it isn't normal, my struggles with letting PMO go are fueled by having been in this toxic "relationship" for most of my life. On some level, I'm scared to death to be without it, as I'm not sure who I would be if this occurred. I also chuckle at that as I write it, because I do know who I would be, and it would simply be the good in me that I'm now aware of - on steroids:)

The letting go is the hardest part, and I appreciate you keeping me on track, Saville:)

Saville and Bobo like this.
  7. Saville

Woo Hoo! :)

NCBob and Boxer17 like this.
  8. NCBob

:D:D:D

9. NCBob

Yesterday I found myself in a familiar place - wanting to get in my 'Ferrari' and drive headlong into the PMO highway. It was a residual effect from having done so the night before - strong, compelling, and all-encompassing. I had a little conversation with myself, and realized (for the umpteenth time:)) that my overarching goal for each day is to say no to PMO. And if I'm saying no to PMO, I'm also saying yes to something else. The yes began with saying yes to going outside for a run on a beautiful day. So I went for a run, and as always, my mind opened up and some interesting thoughts and perspectives bubbled up from inside. When I finished my run, I said yes to doing some writing on these thoughts, said yes to doing some laundry, said yes to doing some accounting for my business, said yes to watching the Auburn - VA basketball game, said yes to restringing my guitar, said yes to practicing my guitar, said yes to meeting a friend for dinner, and basically said yes to having a meaningful, enjoyable, and productive day.

So why wouldn't I want to say yes all the time, if saying no to PMO leads to all these yes's???

It's clear that the reason I don't want to say yes all the time is that by saying yes in each and every moment, is that I would open myself up to feeling more uncomfortable feelings, have to be accountable for cleaning up all of the unfinished business in my world, including the remaining financial fallout from the recession, let go of a well-oiled dopamine producing machine, go thru withdrawal, be in an unfamiliar state of mind, have an opportunity to make the most of my potential, and generally, be in a state of mind where I felt really good all the time. Which is insane, if you think about it:D

Saying no to PMO is simply saying yes to sanity. Simple, obvious, and not always easy.

Here's to saying YES today:)

Boxer17, Bobo, Saville and 1 other person like this.
  10. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member

YES-YEA-YES! :)

NCBob likes this.
  11. Saville

Yesterday I was at a dinner and the desserts looked amazing! Everyone was having on and I was sorely tempted. But, then I went through my list of things. The dessert will be gone in 20 seconds (I eat fast) and then what? I don't want to be a fat blob with a double chin anymore. This morning I'm feeling righteous that I didn't succumb to the sugar! :)

Boxer17, Gilgamesh and Bobo like this.
  12. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member

We may be in trouble here---BIG TROUBLE ! Your feeling righteous? :eek::rolleyes:

Boxer17 and Saville like this.
  13. Boxer17

Boxer17 Active Member

Way to go
    What an awesome post!

NCBob likes this.
  14. NCBob

:D:D:D

15. NCBob

You must be some righteous dude, Saville:)
    Way to go:D

Boxer17 likes this.
  16. NCBob

Thanks, Boxer17:)

Even better if I'm willing to do the yes work:D

Today has been a been a yes day, despite feeling really crappy because of allergies. Time for sleep:)