Is it going to be impossible to have a social life without social networking?

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by Armani Code, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Armani Code

Armani Code New Member

I have been thinking about this. A decade ago Myspace was somewhat getting big but other than that you could have a perfectly healthy social life without being plugged in. You could go out, make friends, just get their numbers, and that would be the end of it. These days everything seems to involve the internet and it is only going to get worse. Facebook has pretty much become the new google and ever since deactivating my account I notice I miss some parties and major events people have going on. Not to mention employers actually promoting the idea that you use facebook and social networking to promote yourself in a positive way on the internet.

Right now I feel that social networking is just hitting the iceberg. You also instagram, twitter, and a lot of other stuff just bound to come out. I am starting to wonder if being involved on the internet and having a social networking account will be required for you to have a social life.

What do you say?

2. monte_cristo

monte_cristo Guest

I quit Facebook last summer...I signed up for it 9 years ago (!) when I was in college, it was a much simpler time.

On one hand I'm so fucking glad I'm off, but I miss the random chats with friends. No one uses e-mail for chat anymore, and I'm old enough that I used to keep in touch with my friends through programs like ICQ and AOL Instant Messenger, but those are dead too. Seems like the over-25 crowd I'm in uses Facebook for their only chat platform. Sometimes I catch someone on Steam or Xbox Live but I'm not that big into those, and you can't really strike up a conversation when someone is busy playing games. You can call or email some people and never get a response, but send them a message on Facebook and they'll be talking to you in 10 seconds.

3. flamingwind

flamingwind Guest

Well I never had a social life to begin with, but I assume people could always text each other