Giles' Journal

Discussion in 'Ages 40+' started by Giles, Jun 20, 2013.

1. midge

midge Guest

That's great, Giles. I hope you like it. I got it on audio from the library last week and have already listened to it twice. It's a quick read.

2. Giles

Giles Member

I have read through the whole book this afternoon. It is, as you say, a good read. I have definitely taken some good advice from it and could probably do with rereading it sometime, or whenever I am feeling stuck. Thanks for the nudge Midge - you are a lovely man :)

3. midge

midge Guest

:) You're kind to say so, Giles, but I'm not so sure...
    I'm glad you spent some time with that book. And it definitely bears re-reading, at least portions of it.
    Hope you're having a great day, bud.

4. better_reward

better_reward High-speed connection is an oxymoron.™

Hey Giles. You're sounding pretty motivated. BTW you mentioned you did this course in London. Are you living in England? Hope you don't mind me asking, just wondering to get some context for your work situation. I have been avoiding doing my own business cause I often feel isolated, but I am having second thoughts—as I may have no other choice.

Stay on track mate!

5. Giles

Giles Member

Yeah, I am feeling motivated at the moment.

For years things have not really been going well in my life and I was always trying to figure out what was going on - and I finally sense I have gotten to the bottom of it. PMO seems to be the fundamental issue I was suffering from and realising this is freeing up energy and giving me confidence for the future. Also, the camaraderie I feel on this forum is really heart warming. I have led quite a reclusive life the past 20 years and I feel a connection with people here that I haven't experienced in a long time.

"Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years." - Richard Bach

6. midge

midge Guest

A great report, Giles. It sounds as though you're really making some life-altering discoveries about yourself. I agree about the connections here. The anonymity encourages the kind of opening-up that would take years to get to in a real-life situation. But the benefits of that opening up---wow. Carry on, brother. You're a motivator!

7. Giles

Giles Member

I feel calmer the last couple of days. I went through a few days of feeling incredibly horny and although I quite liked it, the temptations were there. It helped to reaffirm my commitment to this process though and I accomplished a lot in this time, so I am pleased.

I am still getting a lot of headaches, most days really and this is starting to get me down a bit, but I have read in others' journals that these can last for a while, so I'll just keep soldiering on.

8. Omega Man

Omega Man Everything counts.

Glad you both enjoyed it.

9. Omega Man

Read up on DeltaFosB. It drains around the 60 day mark according to YBOP. Could be a factor. Might mean good stuff in store for you soon.

10. Giles

Giles Member

Thanks for the info Omega Man. Hopefully I'll wake up on Saturday feeling better. Actually, I had a better day yesterday so who knows?
    And thanks for the book recommendation - it was a good read - I might look into getting the audio book as well as it would be a good type of thing to listen to in the car. All the best.

11. anonymouse

anonymouse New Member

Giles, I want to thank you for posting on my journal. It was the kick in the pants I needed to stop the pity party I was having. I didn't realize you were about a week ahead of me - you'll have to let me know if there are any bumps or revelations around day 60. ;)

12. Giles

Giles Member

Thanks AM, I appreciate it. You are doing great.

13. Giles

Giles Member

I find posting about my experience with this process difficult at times. I find it much easier to read through others journals and I frequently find myself agreeing with people's stories and thoughts. I am so impressed with how well most people are able to explain what's going on for them.

So far I am finding things okay. I know this is the right thing to be doing and the right time as well. I haven't had any overwhelming urges, and this frightens me a bit - I fear the worst may still be yet to come.

I have been directing a lot of my energy into online dating this week. I have taken a very proactive approach, contacting many different women, with an attitude of 'let's see what happens'. It feels very safe communicating online and I have yet to actually talk with someone, let alone meet face-to-face. These will be big steps along the way. The thing I find most difficult is that I live with my parents and for a 40 year old man, this doesn't come across well and I am embarassed to have to admit it. It also has practical limitations and I am not in a position to do much about it presently.

My horniness of last week has died down and the next thing I really want to tackle is getting back to going to the gym regularly. I think it's really good for me and it helps me feel better about myself. I seem to keep prevaricating at the moment.

14. TheFuture

TheFuture Allow me to reintroduce myself

I think the online dating is a really good move Giles.

I actually met my wife online, was so random we still laugh about it today. I had been on the site for a few months met a few girls but nothing serious happened, and was basically about to give up on the whole thing. I mean literally I remember being on the site and thinking I'm tired of messaging these women and only getting a response 1 out of 30 times.

Then I saw a girl I had noticed before, was online. I remember thinking to myself, I am about to log off of this damned site for good and good riddance to online dating. For some strange reason I decided to have one last attempt to instant message a girl before I logged off. Said hello, and told myself, If I don't hear anything after 10 seconds, I'm out. So anyway she responded, and we hit it off, it was crazy, similar interests, same sense of humor, it felt so natural. We exchanged emails, and have been together 8 years now and are happily married (aside from my PMO issue).

What makes it even more crazy is, later when I asked what she was doing at the time I IM'd her, she said she hadn't been on the site in months, and was only logging on to close her account... I'm not one to believe in fate and all that but I don't how else to describe it.

15. bright_eyes

bright_eyes Master of My Own Mind?

Wonderful story, Future. And here you are getting rid of your PMO problem, so the story will get even better.

16. Apuleius

Apuleius Guest

I agree, theFuture. Awesome story... I love that.

17. Giles

Giles Member

Yeah, amazing story Future, thanks for sharing. That's just the shot in the arm I need.

18. Omega Man

Great story TF!

19. Omega Man

You are doing great at journaling. Just post your thoughts and experiences. It doesn't have to be a novel :) The personal journey is what makes it interesting, and you are working to better yourself in many ways. It's inspirational and helpful. Keep at it!

20. better_reward

better_reward High-speed connection is an oxymoron.™

I feel the same way sometimes about journaling. So that's where you are, that's what you write, and that's that' you did. BTW 60 days is a great achievement. Stay inspired mate. I enjoy reading about your small steps.