Don't Break the Chain - Jerry Seinfeld productivity technique

Discussion in 'Social Advice' started by WaveRace, Jul 22, 2014.

1. WaveRace

WaveRace New Member

Heard about this idea that a Lifehacker blogger got from Jerry Seinfeld. The guy met Seinfeld at a comedy thing and asked him for some advice. I searched the internet and there is a ton of information about this. It does make sense, but has to be for simple goals for me.

Seinfeld's calendar on a wall, with red X's on each day that he completed the task "Write a joke". Simple. Rather than some complex formula and multiple pages. Just write.

People have molded the basic idea into a variety of different methods but following the theme of 'Don't Break the Chain' of consecutive days. Though sickness and Jury duty kind of thing can be accounted for as not a cop out. Its the visual reminder that helps. Gets you out of your head.

The first calendar I started was - Leave the house daily. I don't mean walk around the block. I mean intentionally leaving to go a do something. It can be as simple as an errand. Why does this seem worth the bother. I want to see on the calendar a long chain of actively leaving the house. The second has to do with Apply for jobs. Though applying for a job has so many variables. I'm trying to simplify it to say - At least 1 job, or gather "application documents" and have it ready for submission if it is really detailed.

Anyone else heard of this?

2. BrEak-Free

BrEak-Free Member

Not bad actually, i might try it mostly to apply for jobs.

3. nowheretogobutup

nowheretogobutup New Member

There's a website called chains.cc that lets you track daily progress on whatever you want. I read about it here as someone used it to track his PMO / MO etc., I use it to track my drinking, smoking, excercising, etc. It does feel good when you get a long streak going on something that is good for you....

4. breath

breath Member

this is great. the part that work for me is keeping it simple, and not starting by raising the bar super high right away... and coming from seinfeld! love it.

5. Lulu

Lulu Guest