Deleted my Facebook account today

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by stretcher, Jul 2, 2013.

1. stretcher

stretcher New Member

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty I am free at last!

2. HyperhumanSonic

HyperhumanSonic Bruce Lee fan.

What was so bad about your Facebook?

3. stretcher

stretcher New Member

Same thing that's wrong with the rest of the Internet, I waste too much time on it doing nothing. The people who matter on Facebook, I have their email. The people who don't matter, well, it's a waste of time constantly surfing my newsfeed for whatever they're writing.

4. HyperhumanSonic

HyperhumanSonic Bruce Lee fan.

Good point. I didn't know people even used email anymore. I thought it became outdated.

5. charlieK

charlieK Member

Did it over a year ago and have never regretted it. Not only was it a time suck but it tnded to generate more negative emotions than positive on par.

6. rcfergie5

rcfergie5 Guest

4 weeks tomorrow, that's how long ago I quit Facebook. I agree with everything said here: not only did it take too much time, I looked at pointless posts from people I don't quite care about (even some of their pity posts), and I sought too much external validation (and when people tried to help me I would just push them away). So I agree with CharlieK; it generates more negative emotions than positive, for me. That's for immature egomaniacs, for sure.

7. stretcher

stretcher New Member

Jonesing so hard for my Facebook fix right now. Damn.

8. Datteman

Datteman Guest

Deleted my facebook account aswell some weeks ago, haven't regret it at all. :)

9. totallyyours

totallyyours Loyalty, honor, and a willing heart

You guys are awesome. I dislike my fb habit but have severely limited it partly due to Chrome Nanny and removing the fb app from my phone.

I'm keeping my fb account for now for evangelization purposes (both myself and others) since I've found great Catholic content out there. I also use it as a mini journal, posting inspirational stuff that I like or want to save. There may be other sites or methods for this (hopefully less addictive) that I need to look into. I also use fb for saving photos (it consumes every area!).

10. geddonjones

geddonjones Machete don't text.

I've left Facebook twice, I enjoyed my periods of being cut off from the bullshit but I have to use it for my band, think I might get another profile and run it from that. It's such a bad thing Facebook.

11. sm82804

sm82804 New Member

I deactivated mine as well. I want to simplify my life. Facebook can be good for finding old friends but I feel that social media has destroyed privacy. I would like to keep as much of mine as possible.

12. Eternity

Eternity Patience

I've considered getting rid of it. I mainly use it to get updates from bands I like, which can be obtained elsewhere. I don't spend lots of time online, but the stuff people post makes more harm than good to me, too. I just wish people wouldn't look at me like I'm from the 19th century when I mention that I don't use FB.

13. YellowArmy

YellowArmy New Member

I haven't deleted my Facebook account, but one day I just decided to stop using it. I have been free from Facebook since 26th of April now, and I have most peoples phone numbers who I used to talk with on there anyway. FB really was a waste of my time, not to mention some of the pictures girls used to put up on there, that alone used to lead me back to P!

14. charlieK

charlieK Member

Not sure you know this but when you delete your account, it still exists. I havent been on facebook in a year except for one time I needed a contact. Literally when you login again the same old page appears as if nothing changed. To "get rid" or erase that account totally is much more problematic than you think.

15. charlieK

charlieK Member

Another thing that helps is when people ask you if your on it, don't give a longwonded answer about how much better you are off it etc. just say your not on it. When I have proselytized about it, it never gets a good response probably bc everyone who is on it wishes secretly they werent.

16. Humate

Humate Member

Wish I could get rid of it, but I use it for actual communication purposes with various people. Not my preffered method of contact, but some people I can only get a hold of via "Messaging" or I can only be notified about events that are planned through there as well.

Despite all this, I have a major addiction with it - constantly clicking on the news feed all the time and dwelling into peoples lives that I hardly know. It's pretty sad. But then again, just about every person I see out in public with a phone, has Facebook open. Does anyone else notice this? It's even taken over messaging!

17. stretcher

stretcher New Member

I found something similar. When I hit the delete option, I got an email from them telling me they were going to de-activate my account for two weeks and then delete it. I could come back and re-activate it at any time. Obviously, Facebook has tons and tons of people who wish they could quit it but keep coming back. It's like a junkie telling his dealer he's quitting the heroin, going cold turkey, and the dealer says, "Alright, that's cool. But here's some free samples just to tide you over for the next couple weeks if you decide you want to keep doing it."

Anyway, yesterday was the two week mark. I assume Facebook has rewarded my self-discipline by deleting my account, but I'm not going to look and find out.

18. stretcher

stretcher New Member

Depends on how badly you want to get rid of your addiction. If you want to get rid of it, you will tell the people you need to stay in contact with that they can get ahold of you via email. The other people, the ones you hardly know, they don't matter and so they don't need your email.
    If you don't really want to get rid of it, then you won't do that. It's as simple as that.

19. Humate

Humate Member

You make sense, but sometimes I have these grave fears that "Facebook" will be the most preffered way of contact in the future. Probably won't be, but I'm looking at this long term as well.

I've had arguments with an ex girfriend over the dam bloody thing! How ridiculous is that! So I think sometimes when I log on, I expect a little red icon & a message from her. Plenty of emotional ties to Facebook & I think a break from it would be good.

20. r1111

r1111 Guest

I really want to delete Facebook but I am scared people might think I am weird. Maybe I could just deactivate it.