block website at specific time

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by Martin, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Martin

Martin ͯ͛̃̈̀̔ ͑ͨ̏͋ ̽̔̇̋ ̒̎͊̎̍

I need Internet for my work, but I don't need Facebook. What software should I use to only allow certain websites let's say from 10-11 pm? It seems K9 cannot do this.

2. Daniel

Daniel New Member

If you're on a mac try SelfControl:

http://visitsteve.com/made/selfcontrol/

3. Martin

Thanks, but I have Windows 7—still looking.

4. itsallforher

itsallforher New Member

Haven't tested this yet, but looks like it may work:

http://getcoldturkey.com/

5. Martin

No, I've tried it before.

6. itsallforher

itsallforher New Member

? I just tested it. Works great.

7. Cocoon

Cocoon Guest

I think it is a good program, I just wish there was a way to block all websites and not just some specific ones. Does someone have an idea how to do that?

8. winniethepooh

winniethepooh New Member

I'm using version 0.7 and you can click on Custom Sites next to Popular Sites and then you can add your own choices or import links from a text file.

I've just started using it since Monday, I'm on day 4 and so far pretty excited, cause it helps me a lot. I could never restrain myself without a blocking software, however I do have the minimum self-discipline required to not try and bypass it, so I'm optimistic that with this extra help I'm gonna solve the problem.

It's the first time in years that I'm trying to limit my obsessive internet use and I see that it makes a ton of a difference. Highly suggested for sure, at least out of curiosity.

9. winniethepooh

winniethepooh New Member

I have one more suggestion: the LeechBlock firefox addon

Now that only works if you're using Firefox, but if you do then it's just great. It lets you define time periods and time counts (eg block access between 0080-1600 and/or after you spend more than 'x' minutes every 'y' minutes). It can also display a timer in the toolbar which shows how much time you have remaining if a webpage is in the block list and you're using a time count rule.

Personally I'm only using Firefox anyway, and with those two pieces of software I'm covered 100%. I use ColdTurkey to set up some broad and HARD rules (websites that I REALLY don't have to check unless once in several days or so, for example some addictive/entertaining websites which are totally optional) and then I use LeechBlock to add fine-tuned blocks for sites that I do need, but in moderation: eg I added one rule for Facebook cause I need it daily to check my messages but I want it to block within certain periods of time or minutes of browsing.

I'm really excited with those two programs, I have everything I need. Now it only takes some self-discipline and not trying bypass them, but so far it seems that I have it. Guys, try them out!

10. tsmith1302

tsmith1302 Active Member

Cold Turkey can do that, you'll just have to go in and re-block it every day for that hour.

11. catherinewood13

catherinewood13 New Member

One of the most useful website filtering software is LAN Spy Monitor, I have been using it for a quite long time. http://www.qqmonitor.com/monitor-internet-usage.htm

12. TheNewBorn

TheNewBorn Guest

I've only heard of selfvault, for windows.. Seem to be able to do what you ask..

13. totallyyours

totallyyours Loyalty, honor, and a willing heart

Chrome apps: Nanny, StayFocused, Temporary Site Blocker, Website Blocker