Benefits of beating internet addiction

Discussion in 'Internet Addiction' started by thann14, Apr 28, 2013.

1. thann14

thann14 New Member

Was thinking of seriously restricting my time on the internet or even completely quitting and was wondering, what, if any positive effects have you all noticed while overcoming this?

2. cikatomo

cikatomo New Member

Recently, about one month I've been on internet very little daily. I still watch youtube and talent shows, but only that :) I don't see any use in internet anymore. Do you need to find something? There's a lot of people walking on the street, just ask them. News? If they're important to you you will hear them sooner or later. Friends? Call them. Sometimes is internet useful, I admit, but far less then why we are using it. You will see all the people staring at their mobiles like some monkeys with toys.
    Just yesterday, I was with my cousin in new town. While we were waiting public transport on station I was looking buildings people, collecting impressions and stuff, but she, she was staring at the fucking instagram and at that moment sadness came over me for she was not able to enjoy herself, enjoy the world full of novelty, smells, sounds, but she had to stare at some stupid pictures. What a waste of time!
    You can use internet, but be realistic, real world is much better and complex place than virtual.

3. thann14

thann14 New Member

I'm considering dropping all internet usage except to watch game of thrones (new episode once a week) or a movie occasionally, 10 minutes of Facebook before i go to sleep for replying to inboxes etc and school work. Also something I've realized is that if not for the internet, I have nothing to do at home on weekday nights/afternoons other than reading and school work, any advice?

4. TimeForAChange

TimeForAChange Starting a journey for a new life!

I'm in the same boat as you. Wanna cut down on internet useage to do more useful things, but what to do with all that earned time?! I can go work out, but still loads of hours to kill after that. I think the best is to find a passion in life, exactly what that is, is different from every person. I'm gonna buy a keyboard/piano and try to learn that with my new time and do some reading as well :). To start with at least. Other things can be taking a walk, dance, sing, play an instrument, hang out with friends, cook and loads of others. It is gonna be hard, I think quitting the internet is harder then to go PMO free. So you have to be commited and remind yourself why you are doing it. The first few weeks is most likely gonna be painful.

5. cikatomo

cikatomo New Member

You don't have friends? Do you have a place to put table tennis?

6. thann14

thann14 New Member

I'm 16 and my house is a 20 minute drive away from almost all of my friends. Between study and assessment, seeing them on weekday afternoons isn't an option.

7. kopp

kopp Member

Hey guys, I'm starting to reduce my time on the internet and here is what I do with my free time :

* Clean my flat :D so I can tell friends to come in
    * Take care of myself
    * Go out ! going out alone is something awesome, go to your favorite shops and spend some time in it. I wanna improve my look so I can stay in clothes shops for hours, trying a lot of clothes to see which one fits me the best.
    * Read books ! There are lots of books related to self improvement, seduction, communication, success, becoming rich... those kind of books are really really interesting. I also read success stories to understand why great people are great people (Swcharzzy's bio, books about Muhammad Ali...)
    * Do some gym - 1h every 2 days -
    * Cook, take care of my health, eat better
    * Sleep ! Sleeping 8h a night, going to bed before midnight : it has many many advantages
    * Sit on your bed and think ! It's important for you to be ok with yourself, just sit down one time a week for at least 1 hour an think about everything you want, how you feel inside, what you wanna achieve... Write it on a paper. :)

PS : all your school friends are far away from your house but i'm pretty sure that there are other young people in your neighboorhoud that are waiting to meet you and be your friends :)

8. bruistopher

bruistopher Guest

I think I'm going to give this a try. Starting today. I'm still surfing the web a little so far this morning but man does it bore me to death when my iPhone is taken from me or when I can't use it. It's like all my excitement or entertainment and energy is spent on the iPhone or video games or even TV shows. Uh! This going to be hard but I'm going to try and go a month without the use of the iPhone, video games and my TV and see how I go.

This going to suck. But I know this is what's best for me.

9. axel

axel No love, no glory

I think everybody should set up a limit of "internet" minutes. When you reach that daily limit you should imendiately give up and start doing other activity. Reading a book, for example, is maybe the easiest substitute.

At least for me, i spent tons of hours browsing the net... I was bored before, while and after the internet session.

10. kopp

kopp Member

Do you know a program or a browser extension that would do that? I know it existed for firefox but is no longer avalaible. :s

11. Primetime

Primetime New Member

I've been using Cold Turkey lately, just put all the sites on there that you want to block.. and then put it on 7 days. 7 days no bullshit. ;-)

That's my method so far, I really like it.

12. flamingwind

flamingwind Guest

I wish I could limit my time online, but I know i'm not capable of doing that since I failed on many attempts. I can't use cold turkey since I learned how to bypass it. That's why I'm going offline for 90 days

13. kopp

kopp Member

Do never say "I'm not capable" again. Yes you are capable, dude.

14. totallyyours

totallyyours Loyalty, honor, and a willing heart

Chrome has a few extensions and alarms that limit internet time.

15. Stramanova

Stramanova New Member

I definitely should cut back on internet time too. But some things are really important for me, like finding new music, watching anime series (One Piece :D), contacting friends I don't see often in real life, and this site. I also like to do creative stuff on the computer like painting digitally, composing music and stuff like game design.

I'm really not sure if I want to give this up. :( And doing these things without 'binging' is ridiculously hard for me.

16. TimeForAChange

TimeForAChange Starting a journey for a new life!

This!

I think it is all about your attitude towards the problem. Just set your mind to DO IT. No excuses and just keep pushing. If you relapse just remind yourself of why you are doing this again and keep on pushing again. As many tries as it takes. I am convinced that if you are the right mind set and push yourself every day to NOT DO IT/DO IT. Just be commited enough and it will happen! It is no miracle, just requires patience, action and dedication.

17. Stramanova

Stramanova New Member

It's ridiculous how much is possible with the internet. I know I would be a very different person if I didn't use the internet so much. Each time I need the internet for studying, I go from watching lecture slides to watching stupid sites like 9gag and watching random youtube videos. I don't feel the need to be on the internet when doing something such as sports or hanging out with friends, but it's way too easy to go online when you're bored. I don't think I can go a week without internet (except for when I'm on vacation).