A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by -Luke-, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Pete McVries

Pete McVries Active Member

What kind of sports are you doing? Are you working out in the gym? Definitionsphase, Brudi?

2. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

@dark red drifter vessel :D Lucky Luke may not be the fittest dude in town but he shoots faster than his shadow.

@Pete McVries
    I'm basically doing bodyweight exercises. Pullups, Dips, Ring Rows, Ring Pushups, Handstand Work, Pistols (one legged Squats),... That kind of stuff. I'm working toward some more advanced stuff like Front Lever, Back Lever, One Arm Pullups, something like that.

Pete McVries likes this.
  3. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

I had an emotional day today. Slept terrible and felt really stressed and exhausted after getting out of bed. Meditated for twenty minutes which didn’t really help. Couldn’t concentrate at all. After that I got a push message on my phone that my greatest sports hero of all time, Dirk Nowitzki, announced his retirement after the game last night (resp. this morning in Europe). I watched the 30 minute video before going to work and had to wait a bit until I could go outside because tears were coming quickly. Oh boy, that was a really emotional moment for me. For the rest of the day I almost forgot that I felt terrible. Managed to get some work done and read a few articles here and there.

4. Eternity

Eternity Patience

That's always sad. Reminds me of when a founder left my favourite band. It felt like a terrible loss at the time. It turned out to be okay, but it's never been the same again.

5. Pete McVries

Pete McVries Active Member

Reminds of when Georges St. Pierre (my favourite fighter) recently retired. But to be honest, I had mixed feelings. I was also very happy for him because he retired on his own terms and didn't get retired by the 'game'. Which is very rare in the hurt business. Dirk's knees are probably shot, so he'll enjoy his retirement. I mean, he has enough money and a beautiful family, so... he isn't dead, you know ;). You'll still hear from him from time to time :)

6. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

It's sad to see someone go who you supported his whole career. But at the same time I'm very grateful. And I know that everything else wouldn't make sense. He's forty now and to be honest: Sometimes this season when he stumbled over the field he looked like he's eighty. So right decision.

Pete McVries likes this.
  7. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Hello 50 days. Long time no see.

8. Merton

Merton Active Member

Congrats man!!! This is a huge accomplishment. I hope to see you there in a few weeks.

-Luke- and Thelongwayhome27 like this.
  9. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Had a tough week. Slept bad most of the time, didn't have much energy and didn't exercise as much as planned. Work was quite stressful. But starting next Monday I have three weeks off. So quite some time to relax a little bit. Will be on vacation from wednesday until Saturday the week thereafter. I'm really looking forward to that.

10. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Yesterday I was watching football live again. Out of house almost the whole day. Today the weather was quite sunny, so i was outside a lot. Later I'll watch some NBA playoffs. Sundays are cool for that because even in Europe you are able to watch a game at a normal time (and not in the middle of the night).

Looking forward to my time off from work. But regarding to reboot have to be aware that some relapses happened during this time in the past. If my day doesn't have at least some structure I'm in a danger zone. But not having to work doesn't have to mean that the day has no structure. I have some nice things planned for that.

11. Hey Luke.

Good to have you back. What sort of safety nets do you have in place to help you through the holidays? Web-blockers, Sade browsers, etc?

PC.

-Luke- likes this.
  12. Eternity

Eternity Patience

A good time to have a vacation. If you get bored you can go outside and enjoy spring.

And yeah, I wish I could follow some NHL but the game times are not for me, except maybe on weekends if there's an early one.

13. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Hey PC, thanks for dropping by. I have a blocker installed on my laptop but I know how to get around it, so I don't really rely on that.

To avoid a relapse I just try to stay busy. That's easy when you have to go to work but in the holidays (and at the weekends) I am out of the house as much as possible. I go to the library, I exercise, I spend time in nature, I play some billard, I read a lot. That kind of stuff. From wednesday until friday the week after I'm on vacation and there should be enough to do.

Thelongwayhome27 likes this.
  14. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Yes, I really like the spring. It gets warmer but it isn't too hot yet.

I realized just now while clicking on your profile page that you are from Sweden. I always thought you were from the United States. Don't know why. I guess it's because back in 2014 when I found this forum everyone I followed was from the United States (except one guy from the Netherlands).

15. Yeah. I just installed openDNS which is free and blocks it at the router level. That means my phone and my tablet are locked as well. I also keep the log in for it linked to an email that has the password in the back of a notebook in the garage. So I can get around it if I have to, but plenty of chances to turn back once I realize what I’m doing.

But you are quite right. The best thing to do is keep busy. My last relapses happened when I was home alone. So the best defense is a busy calendar.

PC

16. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Starting on vacation tomorrow. I'll have internet access so I will update this journal if necessary, but I don't want to use the internet too much. Wish you all the best!

17. -Luke-

-Luke- Active Member

Just one thing to say: Slovenia, beautiful country!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Thelongwayhome27

Thelongwayhome27 Active Member

That's beautiful stuff man ! Thanks for sharing ! Happy for you.

19. Enjoy your holiday. You have earned it! Looks gorgeous. Enjoy.

PC.