A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by -Luke-, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dark red drifter vessel

dark red drifter vessel Well-Known Member

Sorry, too dumb for the reply function atm, but regarding what @Thelongwayhome27 said about inner peace:

If you catch yourself thinking true inner peace is a prerequisite to getting out from an addiction, reconsider. I sorta got out and I'm nowhere near true inner peace. Granted I have a crapton of work still to do, too.

I don't wanna say having some of that is bad, it ain't, it's really really good. But expecting to reach a crazy ass amount or true form of it? That's yer brain laying out traps for you. *I will never be ready until I bla bla blaaaaa...*

Pete McVries and Doper like this.
  2. CleanBootsBaby!

CleanBootsBaby! Active Member

My humble opinion: the only prerequisite is for you to want to quit. That's what I've seen in my case...and I've beaten this addiction for years. (Don't look at my counter and think I'm a poser.)

When any immediate pleasure weighs more than your willingness to quit, you ain't ready yet.

3. Doper

Doper Well-Known Member

Self-acceptance and inner peace are different things. There are people that possess the former, but the only people with the latter are dead or are trying to sell you some. I don't think our brains are built for either, or at least we can't be "at peace" ALL the time, because we are on that see-saw of pain and pleasure, and our brains will self-regulate back to baseline. Skyscrapers, financial systems, spaceships etc. were not built by people with self-acceptance and inner peace. And specifically going out to try to find either isn't going to work. My guess is the only way to get either (ever) is to run headlong into whatever it is you fear most at any given time, and once you conquer that specific fear and bring it into your comfort zone or circle of competence, you will get a little (temporary) boost of both. Make discomfort the comfort zone. Easier said than done, obviously.

4. dark red drifter vessel

dark red drifter vessel Well-Known Member

This.

Also this. I believe, I fear it, I shall do it. -.-
    Only goes against my standard strategy, but hey. Obliterate yourself, dear.

Luke, how are you doing?