A New Beginning

Discussion in 'Ages 30-39' started by -Luke-, Jan 17, 2019.

1. runningforfreedom

runningforfreedom New Member

Work devices can be tricky, my private devices are secure but my work device remains insecure. And in fact, for my personal situation, it is impossible for me to secure my work device without.

Keep fighting the good fight! I am rooting for you.

2. -Luke-

-Luke- Well-Known Member

@Apeman: That's a good business idea. The smartphone for the internet addict. Maybe I should look into it. ;)

@runningforfreedom: Thanks man! Yes, work devices are tricky. I'd like to install a filter but I can't install anything on my work laptop. And I can bypass the private Wi-Fi because I can use my SIM card on that laptop. Well, sooner or later I have to return that stupid thing. That's gonna be a good day. I root for you, too!

I decided to use a counter in my signature again. Haven't done that in a while. But in the past it helped in difficult times, when I felt almost hopeless. Maybe because of peer pressure? Not necessarily a good thing, but whatever helps.

3. Apeman

Apeman It means you're a baboon... And I'm not

It helps. The counter stacks up faster than you expect, and when times get tough, the thought of resetting that number will give you pause.
    Lesgo.

4. -Luke-

-Luke- Well-Known Member

True that!

But at the same time I don't want to focus too much on abstinence. I want to focus more on self-improvement again. I feel like my journal entries in the last months were too limited to "Work is shit, oh, and by the way... I PMOd again". So until the end of the year I have set myself a few goals that I would like to post here, in order to hold myself accountable:
    • Publish my first android app in the google play store
    • Hold a free handstand for at least 15 seconds
    • One Muscle Up on Rings
    • Learn juggling with 5 balls (I can do it with 4, but 5 is a huge step)
    • Meditate every day for at least 15 minutes

5. Apeman

Those are fairly ambitious goals, @-Luke- ! What's the plan to approach them? A wise man once said that a goal without a plan is just a wish.

runningforfreedom and -Luke- like this.
  6. -Luke-

-Luke- Well-Known Member

Good point.
    • The app: I've been working on that for a few weeks now and I just have to keep doing what I'm already doing. Since I am on a good track here, this goal should not be that difficult to achieve (even though there might still be problems that I am not aware of yet). I set that deadline so that I don't let up and procrastinate on it.
    • Handstand: I work on it for 5 minutes every day. But after some progress I have reached a plateau since a few weeks. I should increase the time I spend every day on it and work more on my posture (straight line). But I think the key here is consistency. I have set myself this goal many times in the past, but always stopped at some point.
    • Muscle Ups: I do Pullups and Dips with additional weight and I already made some progress in the last few weeks. But the strength isn't really the problem. The problem is the transition phase between Pullup and Dip. I will incorporate negative repetitions into my training from now on and continue with the weighted exercises.
    • Juggling: This is the most ambitious goal I think. When I learned it with three balls I made progress really fast. The transition to 4 balls was much more difficult. Now I started a few exercises to work towards 5 balls. But I have already noticed that the step is quite big. I don't doubt I can learn it, the question is how long it will take. I'll work on it for 15-20 minutes every day.
    • Meditation: Similar to the app development. I'm already doing it for weeks now every morning and all I need is consistency and endurance.
    Probably the most important point is to incorporate the mindset that difficulties and self-doubt are part of the process and I should see them as an opportunity to improve.

Pete McVries likes this.
  7. Apeman

Solid plans, mans! It seems that most of them can be boiled down to a daily practice, "X minutes every day". Maybe you could have a visible checklist so you could physically cross each practice off your list every day. I fucking love checklists. But that's just me.

Good luck, my dude.

-Luke- likes this.
  8. runningforfreedom

runningforfreedom New Member

@-Luke-

Those are some pretty ambitious goals! I think it is far healthier to focus on them, than on not PMO'ing. I am trying something similar myself by refocusing on my career, reading, and meditation.

Keep us posted on your goals!

-Luke- likes this.