What games were/are the most problematic for you?

Discussion in 'Gaming Addiction' started by YourBrainRebalanced, Oct 4, 2018.

1. YourBrainRebalanced

YourBrainRebalanced Administrator Staff Member

Here is my list:

- Diablo II
    - Warcraft III
    - World of Warcraft was the most problematic game of my life, with many 100s of hours sunk into it.
    - Rust
    - Fortnite
    - Socom 2 for ps2 in high school

Basically, what I am getting at is, do you think that there is a particular type of game that is more likely to lead to addictive behavior?

2. BuddhaPunkRobotMonk

BuddhaPunkRobotMonk Administrator Staff Member

RPGs I think are more addictive then your regular platform games, because they have more rewards with their ranking systems... and also because they have so much replay value... and they take forever to beat.

3. Caesura

Caesura Member

-Diablo II
    -WoW
    -FPSes
    -Morrowind
    -Guild Wars

I think mammoth is right about RPGs. Levelling systems increase addictiveness.

Games can vary widely in how addictive they are. For example, I think you're less likely to get hooked on Pong, Pacman, or Galaga than Diablo II. But if you're a serious addict, less addictive games may trigger urges to play the others.

Also, some games get their appeal from high-novelty and sensory stimulation, while other games get their appeal from challenge and-or competition. Not all games are equally novelty driven.

For example, in some FPSes, the community always plays on one or two maps, the graphics are old, and there's nothing to unlock. People play some games just to increase their skill--but that can still be an unhealthy escape. Maybe an addiction, too.

I have some hope that games will be okay for me one day. I don't believe in the AA model of addiction, because it's not evidence-based. The evidence indicates that SOME addicts are eventually able to use at low levels. And I think some day games may be like that for me.

Right now, I mostly can't make myself play games. After 15 minutes, I just feel like stopping, and then I don't come back for weeks or months. I tend to use addictions that give me a sense of growth, and games have stopped doing that.

4. Perigee

Perigee Active Member

Starcraft II - about 1000 hrs
    TF2/L4D2 - 1,200 hrs between the two

I also used to play a fuckton of Halo 3 and CoD MW2 when they first came out.

Very clear difference to me even between playing a game like CoD vs a game like Bioshock Infinite. Even though they're both FPS they are like apples and oranges. It's obvious the former is much more harmful and addictive.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    YourBrainRebalanced likes this.
  5. YourBrainRebalanced

YourBrainRebalanced Administrator Staff Member

Do you think the competitive nature of those games makes them more addictive?

What about a more casual game like EVE Online, World of Warcraft (non PVP), single-players like Oxygen Not Included, etc?

6. Perigee

Perigee Active Member

That's certainly part of it, but I think it's mainly due the amount of variation and novelty in games like SC2 that simply don't exist in other games. And I personally dislike RPGs and casual games so I'm not certain with them.

I think RPGs are addicting due to their sophisticated leveling/reward systems. Casual games might be addicting because they're a good way to "veg out" and distract yourself, and in the case of many F2P games they are probably addicting due to microtransactions.

Also big correction I've done 10,000-15,000 minutes in sc2 not hours lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  7. JakOtheShadows

JakOtheShadows New Member

Know its an old thread, but anyway...
    Since 2014 (when I started Uni)
    Dota2- 4k hours
    CS:GO - 1k hours

Also played Total War series and CoD:MW back in HS for about 2k hours combined...
    Haven't played Dota for a year, and haven't played CS:GO for a month, but I know I would get addicted straight away if I played another game

8. JakOtheShadows

JakOtheShadows New Member

For me its the fact I will drop other responsibilities. I won't study, I won't go to the gym, I will stay up late and miss lectures and tutorials, I will be keeping up obsessively with tournaments so I am not paying attention in class... But that is me.

I have friends that can moderate is easily, one mate played a few thousand hours on breath of the wild but still kept up with Uni and a full-time job, but I would find that impossible. Like there are gamers, and addicts, and I am an addict for sure, zero ability to moderate it and stop it from affecting other aspects of my life.

positivef likes this.
  9. BoughtWithBlood

BoughtWithBlood Well-Known Member

I used to be addicted to games as well for many years. My biggest addictions were:
    -World of Warcraft
    -League of Legends
    -Counter strike
    -Fifa (but this was more of a problem in regards to spending money on packages/gambling)

I have had times where I did not play at all and I don’t feel addicted anymore. I started playing WoW classic again since a couple months ago. I knew this could spiral me into addiction but I’m doing okay. Sometimes I felt myself slipping so it was good that I was mindful and vigilant. I now play it 1,5 to 3 hours per session, and play about 4 sessions per week. I do realise it’s a form of escape from reality / way to relax sometimes. But I don’t mind that for now. As long as I keep myself to my promises of not playing during the day and going to bed at 11 o’clock.

If I find out it’s bad for my health, or interfering with my recovery, I will quit.

10. Ineedhope

Ineedhope Member

The game I have played most in my life is age of mythology. I can sit their and play 8 hours in a row without even blinking an eye.

I have stopped playing video games for the most part because I constantly lose track of time when I play them.

I could only imagine the addiction problems people are going to have with video games in the future when technology and virtual reality become more advanced.

positivef likes this.
  11. positivef

positivef Active Member

I've found 5min games of online chess problematic because of the one more factor. Instead of getting on with a task I think one short game, then 30mins an hour later still on the thing. This habit is sometimes reinforced with listening to a youtube video at the same time.

Rudolf Geyse likes this.
  12. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Member

I've never had a full gaming addiction, but I can recall times where I've blown a weekend gaming 8+ hrs/day. My life is a lot busier now than it was then, so when I do have a bit of time to game I make sure to: set a countdown timer (usually no more than the length of watching a movie 1-2 hrs), stick to offline/story based games, make sure to do it later in the day once I've accomplished what I needed to do (gym, work, errands, etc).

Rudolf Geyse likes this.